Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Theory, Reality, and photos

- One of my favorite aspects of Peace Corps life is the ability to do immediate confrontation of Theory and Reality. I am able to read about the developing world in any publication, from the NY Times to a college textbook, and do immediate, on the ground application and critiques of the literature . "Application" could be going out to research about my village's level of knowledge concerning family planning and giving immediate feedback to villagers, after reading about the pressure of high birth rates on the environment. But this freelance application of research papers and news articles brings with it quite a bit of responsibility. Since my word, as a white westerner (an African-American volunteer has told me that it is not at all the same for him), is taken so seriously (nearly as the word of God), I'd better get my information right on often very important issues of health and well-being. One publication that I have very much enjoyed reading and applying is "World View Magazine," so I've added a link to the online edition of the magazine on the right-hand side of this site. - I will also be uploading more photos but not all will appear on the blog. Follow the photo link on the right to my see more...